Thursday, March 13, 2014

A most reluctant finish

Well this quilt has finally been finished! It has been a quilt I would call SIGH if I named quilts. I have sighed the whole time making it. The patchwork I blogged about back here. It is donated cut blocks which I only had to add a few more in. Donated flannelette backing which is original from the 70's.
Hope Homes International

But how I struggled with this quilt. I had to push myself to sew it, push myself to sandwich it and the quilting of it was procrastinated about for ages and ages. I feel that this is the worst quilting I have done in a long time. There are material puckers, it is only straight lines, it looks like the first quilt I have ever made. But no matter what I did to try and fix it, it just wasn't working. So I closed my eyes (figuratively) and just got on with it.
The flannelette back
I know why it was such an issue;

  1. I like to start things and not necessarily finish them as I want to get onto the next idea.
  2. I found this utterly boring, not my style of patchwork and quilting at all
  3. I was unhappy with my finish on it.
But the good thing is that it is now another finished quilt for the Orphans at Hope Homes International, so I spent all my time sewing talking to myself ("any child will be thrilled with this, they will not look at how well it is completed, they will appreciate that someone has done something for them) etc etc

8 comments:

  1. It can sometimes take perseverance to complete a project, but your mind is right. Any child would appreciate this, and you have done such a thoughtful and caring thing. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bad finisher too - finishing is so boring but you are right there will be a little person wrapped in love by it. Great work :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand having a hard time finishing when you aren't in love with the fabric/pattern/outcome. Good for you for soldiering through! I recently read this post: http://loristanleyroeleveld.blogspot.com/2014/03/how-quilt-became-life-raft.html. Kind of put things in perspective about giving quilts - I have never seen the reaction to any charity quilt I have made - This not only made me cry, it confirmed solidly that quilting for charity deeply touches those who are on the receiving end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for that. It is amazing. I have never been near someone receiving it either. Thanks

      Delete
  4. It is finished and it will definitely keep a little person warm - well done you for pushing ahead despite not feeling the love for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This quilt will surely be loved and cherished, even though it is not perfect. Bravo to you for finishing it despite the challenges!

    Thanks for linking to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will hold a special place for just the right person...good job completing it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, ha, a quilt called SIGH. Sometimes I feel like that too, but good on you for finishing it up and donating it! It is such a worthy cause and any child will love it! I like the quilting on it, if that helps. Nicely done and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....